Claire South Africa

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Mopanie Worm

Hi All

I thought I would just share with you a little delicacy Donna and I tried in a restaurant in Obz (Observatory) a couple of weeks ago.

It was a wet and windy Sunday and the Obz Fest for that day had been cancelled so we were at a loose end. After having a beer in the local Cool Runnings bar, being dripped on and listening to modern jazz, we decided we needed a change of scene. We mooched along Lower Main Road and came across a friendly looking bar/restaurant. I think it was called Babbos but I just can't quite recall.

Donna tucked into a Mushroom burger while I looked on sipping at a vodka and orange. After a little while the owner, I believe he was called Andrew, came along and asked where we were from. After a chat he asked if we would like to try a South African delicacy. Mopanie Worms.

He told us that these worms, or caterpillars, were dried, then re-hydrated, and then cooked in a variety of ways. I have to say I wasn't keen. Donna was more adventurous and so, in a moment or two, a small plate of deep fried mopanie worms stuffed with feta cheese and accompanied by a curry mayonaise dip arrived at our table.

Donna tucked in first. She didn't look horrified and munched pensively. I had no choice but to try them, except I only took half a one. What was it like? Interesting. I am sure if I had not known it had once been a large caterpillar I could have enjoyed it more. It was rather chewy and had a sort of earthy/gamey taste but with a bit of smoked oyster thrown in. I think my western mind couldn't get my head around it. Andrew told us that they were also eaten fresh, were a great delicacy and full of nutrition.

Donna asked to see the 'worm' before it was re-hydrated. They were about one inch long, dark grey and shrivelled. Not too worm like. Check out the link below to see what they look like when they are alive. They are pretty amazing looking things.

I have since read up about them a little. They are the caterpillar of the giant Emperor Moth and they 'infest' Mopanie trees at certain times of the year. The locals wait until they are fat and juicy and then harvest them from the trees. You have to rip the head off and squeeze out their bitter insides. Then they either eat them fresh or dry them for later.


See a picture of the 4 inch long caterpillars: http://www.digital-photo-forum.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/59115/size/big

Learn more about them: http://www.wordquests.info/erucivorous.html

8 Comments:

At December 21, 2006 5:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
Intersting to see the information on the mopanie worms, don't think I'd have been so keen to eat them had I seen the live picture first, they look quite hairy. Can't say I enjoyed the taste and won't be rushing out to try them again. Have you come across any other interesting foods? I still think of the chicken feet you were offered for your birthday and the sheeps head in the staff room at Knysna...
Take Care and have a Great Christmas,
Donna

 
At December 21, 2006 9:45 pm, Blogger david c welker said...

interesting story, blog too. recently, i was in the amazon rainforest and ate the rear end of an ant (gigantic ant) that only surfaces once a year. the ant parts were fried in a pan and eaten. tasted much like popcorn.

 
At December 22, 2006 9:12 am, Blogger Claire said...

Hi Donna
Yes, I thought this would perk up the page a little. The 'live' pictures are quite disturbing - I am absolutely sure I wouldn't have eaten my half if I had seen the live pic first. I am also quite glad I have not seen the live worms being 'prepared'.
Thanks for the comment and have a great Christmas.
Claire

 
At December 22, 2006 9:20 am, Blogger Claire said...

David
Thanks for the comment! Well done you for eating an ant. I know that I should not be so squeamish. If I had been brought up eating insects and caterpillars there wouldn't be a problem. It's just trying to get the west out of my head.
All the best
claire

 
At December 22, 2006 6:57 pm, Blogger Evelyn said...

The bush tucker trial in the jungle would be no problem to you! For me turkey and Xmas pud have just become much more appealing.
Have a great Christmas Claire. See you in the New Year.
Best wishes. Evelyn

 
At December 24, 2006 2:44 pm, Blogger tina catling said...

Hello Maty
wow something must be changing in you I cannot recall you being able to eat wierd stuff like worms - missing you terribly and looking foward to meeting you when you get home we will be there
lol
tina

 
At January 22, 2007 10:33 am, Blogger Star said...

Hi Claire - you are very brave!! No question about it. I have never eaten or even considered eating a mopani worm. Then again, I have actually sen them being harvested - a DREADFUL sight.
Love your blog - Missing you - Sorry about your moms accident.
Star

 
At January 22, 2007 12:02 pm, Blogger Claire said...

Dear Star

Many thanks for your comment and your wishes for Mum. I am now back at work at the old BBC. Should have my feet well and truly under the desk by tomorrow and then plan to send you and others at the school some emails. Also, hope to edit some of the video that was taken. If you would like to see the rough cuts Ian Perrin has them. Perhaps the kids would like to see these in the meantime.

All the very best and missing Knysna.

It is 4 degrees C here today and windy but not raining for a change. Tonight it will be minus 2!

Claire
x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home