Claire South Africa

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Last day at The Big Issue

Hi all

Doesn't time fly? It hardly seems a moment since I arrived at the office and was shown around by the Editor, James. As it is the Christmas holiday time here in SA there are very few of us in the office. Justine, the designer, is hard at work laying out the February issue, Tarryn, an intern like me, is putting the finishing touches to a story on sports development in SA.

Of course the distribution office is open downstairs as the vendors can't take a holiday. They have to buy the magazines, (the January issue is out) with whatever money they have and go onto the streets to sell. It is a clear, blue, cloudless sky so it will be hot and thirsty work. Let's hope some of the Christmas spirit is still blowing around the city's streets.

On another note, and somewhat guiltily, I have to report that I will be leaving the office early and going shopping. I haven't been to the V&A Waterfront yet on this visit so I am going to consume - in more ways than one.

That is the difficulty with finding your conscience. It tends to bother you.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

At the weekend my parents arrive from Northern Ireland and I am hiring a car and taking them on a 12 day trip around a small corner of this vast country. I am looking forward to seeing what they think of South Africa.

I return to the wet and windswept streets of Belfast on 13th January and I am looking forward to seeing friends, family and, of course, the boyfriend.

Over and out for now and thanks to all my readers and 'posters'.

Claire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home